According to Marketplace Pulse research, Amazon-owned private label brands are not nearly as successful as many paint them to be. Amazon has been successful in creating generic items at low prices, but only when using the Amazon brand name (i.e., AmazonBasics and Amazon Essentials). Otherwise, the hundreds of brands and tens of thousands of products launched are not resonating with customers.
Amazon Private Label Brands research is a deep-dive report analyzing over 23,000 products launched by Amazon under more than 400 different brands. More than 1.4 million customer reviews were evaluated to benchmark Amazon-owned brands.
Amazon-owned Top 10 most successful private label brands are:
- AmazonBasics - household goods, electronics
- Amazon Collection - jewelry
- Amazon Essentials - men’s and women’s clothing
- Pinzon - bedding and towels
- Solimo - household goods
- Amazon Elements - vitamins and supplements
- Simple Joys by Carter’s - children’s clothing
- Goodthreads - men’s clothing
- Daily Ritual - women’s clothing
- Lark & Ro - women’s clothing
Together they account for 81% of all customer reviews and thus are assumed to contribute as much as 81% of the total sales by all Amazon private label brands. AmazonBasics alone is responsible for 57% of the total volume. The top three brands - AmazonBasics, Amazon Collection, and Amazon Essentials - contributed 70% of the total. Together with Amazon Elements, brands with “Amazon” in the name are bringing more than 72% of the total.