Amazon Aggregators Raised Over $12 Billion in 2021

Amazon aggregators raised over $12 billion in 2021 - that’s at least a billion dollars for twelve months in a row. The amount raised includes both equity and debt financing.

Forty-five Amazon aggregators have announced funding rounds, of which 29 raised at least $100 million. More than 40 other firms haven’t announced their funding rounds but are otherwise active. For comparison, the total amount raised in 2020 by the few active aggregators at the time was only around $1 billion.

Capital Raised by Amazon Aggegators

The top five aggregators - Thrasio, Berlin Brands Group, Perch, Heyday, and SellerX - raised over $7 billion (nearly half of that was by Thrasio alone). Of the total capital raised, they account for 55%. The forty smaller aggregators are responsible for the other 45%.

Capital Raised by Top 5 Amazon Aggregators

There are now aggregators in 20 different countries. Most aggregators are based in the United States. Nevertheless, there are also companies operating in Belgium, Canada, China, Finland, France, Germany, India, Israel, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Turkey, UAE, and United Kingdom.

However, the headquarters location is not particularly significant - aggregators are buying businesses from all over the world, practically all of which sell on Amazon in the US. But some firms are trying to differentiate by focusing on local marketplaces or building unique access to local seller communities.

CompanyHeadquartersCapital Raised
ThrasioWalpole, MA$3.4 billion
Berlin Brands GroupBerlin, Germany$1.3 billion
PerchBoston, MA$908 million
HeydaySan Francisco, CA$800 million
SellerXBerlin, Germany$767 million
Razor GroupBerlin, Germany$572 million
MeramaMexico City, Mexico$445 million
Benitago GroupNew York, NY$380 million
Boosted CommerceLos Angeles, CA$380 million
Elevate BrandsNew York, NY$372 million
UnybrandsMiami, FL$325 million
HeroesLondon, United Kingdom$265 million
Mensa BrandsBangalore, India$218 million
factory14Luxembourg$200 million
GrowveSt. Petersburg, FL$175 million
Accel ClubAmsterdam, The Netherlands$170 million
Olsam GroupLondon, United Kingdom$165 million
AcqucoNew York, NY$160 million
Moonshot BrandsOakland, CA$160 million
Nebula BrandsBeijing, China$156 million
BrandedParis, France$150 million
Cap Hill BrandsSeattle, WA$150 million
Global BeesNew Delhi, India$150 million
Suma BrandsMinneapolis, MN$150 million
Forum BrandsNew York, NY$127 million
D1 BrandsNew York, NY$123 million
IntrinsicNew York, NY$115 million
FoundryAustin, TX$100 million
The Stryze GroupBerlin, Germany$100 million
DwarfsAmsterdam, The Netherlands$80 million
ValoreoMexico City, Mexico$80 million
OpontiaDubai, UAE$62 million
RainforestSingapore$56 million
GravitiqLondon, United Kingdom$55 million
Una BrandsSingapore$55 million
Profound CommerceAustin, TX$53 million
UpScalioGurgaon, India$42 million
10clubBangalore, India$40 million
G.O.A.T Brand LabsBangalore, India$36 million
TCM DigitalHerzliya, Israel$28 million
QuinioMexico City, Mexico$20 million
Wonder BrandsMexico City, Mexico$20 million
ForestTokyo, Japan$8 million
MarkaiSan Francisco, CA$4 million
Telos BrandsSan Francisco, CA$2 million

The industry practically didn’t exist at the start of 2020. Since then, it attracted a total of $13 billion in capital raised, launched nearly 100 aggregators, and evolved in sophistication. Amazon aggregators are the most active buyers acquiring Amazon sellers - they made a few hundred acquisitions in 2021 and will do over a thousand next year. Their presence has contributed to seller valuations increasing twofold since 2020. There is still considerable uncertainty on the future of aggregators and what they will look like. But it is still early days.

Share it:
Get data-driven insights about online retail

Juozas "Joe" Kaziuk─Śnas

Founder of Marketplace Pulse, Joe wears multiple hats in the management of Marketplace Pulse, including writing most of the articles. Based in New York City. Advisor to other startups and entrepreneurs. Occasional speaker at conferences.

Get Data-Driven Insights About Online Retail